Take a Break

Finding Time


Finding time to really practice your photography can be tricky. You may have a lot going on in your life. But it's really important to try and find time to practice, practice, practice.

As I have said before, I used to watch hours and hours of Youtube videos on photography. Following some fantastic photographers on their journeys to amazing locations and grabbing images that just blow your mind.

I still think there is a place for this. And I do still watch some videos. But as 90% of these photographers say in their videos. Get out and shoot. 

Now I am talking about Landscape photography. But each genre will be the same. The more you practice, the better you become.

I have never been an over confident person, Or give myself any praise at all to be honest. But what I can say at this point, is that I am a lot more confident with a camera than I used to be. And it is 80% down to me getting out as much as possible.

I also have to say that I am not very technical when it comes to taking images. I am a person that will learn the settings in order to get my shot. And although I do not believe this is the best practice to become a better photographer. It's the way my lazy brain works. 
But at the very least, be familiar with the settings on your camera that will apply to the image that you wish to take. 
In fact if you ask me to put my camera on "Auto", "Aperture Priority", or "Shutter Priority" I would probably break out in a cold sweat.
Again this is not the way I would recommend you starting out. 
Know your camera!

That way, when you are out photographing a stunning waterfall and you spot some wildlife. Maybe a Wagtail, or a Dipper taking a rest on a rock across the river from you, You should be able to change your settings and get that extra little image that you weren't expecting, that turns out to be the best photo of the day!

Making Time

So now comes the tricky part!

I started making time to go out and practice by getting up at 3 or 3.30 in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday. Getting to my location for Sunrise, spending a few hours snapping away, and making it back for lunch time at the latest so that I still had the afternoon to spend with my wife.

I live in West Central Scotland. And if you travel in any direction for 2hrs, you are going to reach scenery that photographers travel days to get to. 
But also remember to shoot local. You will be pleasantly surprised at what's on your doorstep. And you are arriving at a time when only really stupid people, or photographers are up at. For me, on 90% of my excursions I have been totally on my own. Just me, the location, the wildlife, and if you're really lucky a nice sunrise!
Being honest again, this is probably the way I work best. 
You can clear your head, relax and do things as you wish. Play about with the settings. 
I would say that in the beginning there are no mistakes to be made. Just learning experiences. And if you are lucky, and have no time constraints on you, you can travel further a field, or stay longer and really explore the area.

Another way to get out and about is to book a few days away somewhere.

My Wife Claire has been amazing with this for the past 3 years. Making arrangements to stay at B&B's for long weekends, or getting deals on hotels for a weeks holiday.
And using the same principles as before. If your other half doesn't fancy getting up at 3 in the morning while on holiday, then you get up and get out, snap a few images and be back in time for breakfast.
Then during the day you can spend it with your partner with either your camera tucked away for the day. Or what happens with me is I usually try and take most of my stuff with me.....you know....just in case.

I have also been really lucky with the fact that my Dad enjoys photography. And whether it's finding a few hours one day to venture out with the camera together, or managing to get away for a few days up north. It can be beneficial to see how someone else sets about getting an image. 



Loch Earn Jetty
1st Trip away. Loch Earn with my wife

Ashness Jetty
A week in the Lake District
                                                 
Loch an Eilein
A week in Aviemore
                                                                   

However you manage to do it. The more time you spend with the camera, the more confident you will become in changing the settings for the scene in front of you.
This has been the way that has worked best for me.

But again I have been so fortunate that the people around me have allowed, enabled, and inspired me to get out and shoot some amazing landscapes.

So Claire, where are you taking me next.....
















Comments

Popular Posts