Welcome to Me!

Hello,

My name is David Harvey and this is my Blog about my journey with photography!

I am an amateur photographer, concentrating mainly in the genre of Landscape photography.
With a particular passion for long exposure photography and Waterfalls.

I am Scottish, and I live in the town of East Kilbride in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
I live with my long suffering wife Claire, who has been so supportive with my photography journey.
And can often be found yawning a few meters away from me and my setup.....I should probably disclose that I have been there for about 30 minutes or so figuring out my composition and settings 😂.



I have always been around photography. But never truly embraced it until late on.
My Dad has always been into photography. when I was young he built himself a darkroom under the the stairs. He would always be annoying my Mum, Sister, Me or the family dogs to stand still for just 1 minute more till he took a  photo. 
It was always a family joke that by the time my Dad had taken a photograph, the season would have changed, or the person aged another year!😄
If I only knew then what I know now! 
At that time my Dad was using film cameras and although the theory and "exposure triangle" rules would be the same as now. To not have the ability to instantly check the back of the camera to see how the image turned out...delete...and try again, is something I just cant get my head round. 

(From that last paragraph you may have found out something about me.....I'm pretty lazy!😴)

Both my Sister and I received compact point and shoot cameras as presents when younger, and it was my Sister that took the best images and got some printed and made into framed photos. For me it was always just point and shoot, no real thought. just capturing a moment. Although I still got that excited feeling waiting the 1 hour for the roll of film to get developed at the chemists.

After numerous failed attempts by my Dad to get me interested in photography, I think he just made peace with the fact that it wasn't going to happen. And he carried on with photography for himself, purchasing various cameras along the way.

Growing up my family have always been very close.
My Mum and Dad have always given my Sister and I all we could ever want.  I have always been laid back in terms of Get Up And Go or Ambition.  Or as my mother used to say "Horizontal" 😂
But as a young boy I used to draw designs and doodle, and I always remember my Mum really liking them.  As I got older I used to write poems or limericks inside family Birthday or Christmas cards. And along with my Dad and Sister and Wife Claire, It was always my Mum that I remember enjoying reading them.  I suppose this was my creative side waking up.  And when your Wife makes stunning homemade cards at the drop of a hat, my creativity started to grow.



In 2013 we sadly and suddenly lost my Mum to Pancreatic Cancer.  It was totally devastating. And took a huge toll on my family as you would expect.  I really don't think you ever get over losing someone so special, but by pulling together and staying strong together you can make it through.

After this I found my creative side fall away. I found it more difficult to write poems for the cards, and I was just pretty low.  My Wife, My Dad, and my Sister all got me through and as a result of this (and coincidently buying a new phone that had a long exposure setting), I started getting interested in photography.
My Dad suggested I start out with one of his cameras. A Nikon 1 (V1).


Start Of My Journey

So on the 1st of January 2017 I took my first steps on the road to loving photography. 
I got up early, New Years Day, headed out to a road 😕.  Photographs that have always caught my eye have been car or carnival light trails, or long exposure water.
I knew nothing of composition, exposure triangle, nothing really. So I basically just winged it. Changing settings and just checking the back of the camera.
It was freezing, and I was soon finding out that you really do need a tripod for long exposure photography. But when I checked the back of the camera and seen basically, a proof of concept, streak of light I was buzzing. 

Light Trails
First morning of photography.

This first outing certainly fuelled the photography fire in me.  And i started watching Youtube constantly. Trying to gain knowledge, and basically watching how these wonderful photographers were creating excellent content and some stunning images.
That being said I spent so much time watching these guys that I never went out shooting.....for months!!!
It wasn't until the September that I went back out. But from that moment I have near enough been out every weekend for just over 3 years! And it doesn't look like stopping.


Getting up when everyone is sleeping, reaching a location in the dark and waiting for the sun to rise is one of the best feelings I can imagine. And if that location is somewhere like Glencoe then it really does just take your breath away! 

Photography has given me a purpose. It has shown me some stunning places that I know I would not have seen otherwise. 
At heart I am slightly needy. And when my Wife, my Dad , or my Sister says they love one of my photographs, I am filled with pride.
It's something that I can see I have made progress in. I know that given the right conditions I can take a good photograph.


My Dad gave me 95% of my equipment, 100% of his time and knowledge.
My Wife Claire, has given me 100% support and the time needed even when it means sacrifices for her.
My Sister has always given me love and support that is just off the scale.
My In-laws and extended family have always been there for me.
And I thank you all 💓

But I believe my Mum gave me my Creativity and my eye for a photograph!

So this is dedicated to you Mum.
Thank You 💓

I hope you can see my photographs....and can see I now have Ambition.....    


Comments

  1. She can see them. Every one in front and behind the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great read and insight David. Your Mum will be incredibly proud like the rest of your family and I'm sure she doesn't miss an image.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts